Sunday, July 15, 2007

Yarn And Beer

I decided that it was definitely cold here, but I didn't want to buy myself a scarf--so I made one by buying yarn and a crocheting needle. When everyone saw what I was doing, I ended up promising to make a few to the others as long as they bought the yarn.

So, yes, mother, I'm doing half of what I already do in the states ^_~

As for schooling, it's getting a little difficult with the "Lectures" and "Tutorials," in which we make our own schedules, but they don't always work out when there are a small number of people. I'm also kind of worried about the workload I'm required to do, considering a few of my classes say they require at least 12.5 hours per week (and that was my writing poetry class!). If this is the case, I won't be seeing much of New Zealand or having much of a social life. I already don't drink.

They have an interesting way of placing things about, though. I'm used to having a syllabus smacked at me that says, "DO THIS SO YOU CAN PASS," whereas they don't typically tell us to really do anything. We have to go down to a Student Centre, tell them our courses and then we receive huge packets that are called "Study Guides." They help us through the courses, apparently. So, we have to read certain parts of our books, read these study guides to go along with them before each class so then the teacher can go on with more information, but reference to the before information while he/she is at it. I'm beginning to see why most people take only two courses.

However, as it stands, for me to be able to take out the loans I am taking, the classes that are transferring must accumulate enough credits so that I can actually take them out. I don't think my university would be too pleased to find that I didn't have enough courses. (though maybe I could just take an incomplete and do the thing later...?)

I haven't got much news for my "clubs" or "organizations." I've heard they are scraping up people, but nothing has been said. One of the teachers said I could sit in on her class, and she's also more than wanting me to speak in front of it about "culture shock," which I replied I'd be more than happy to do. I've realized that culture shock doesn't have to be big--it's really the small comforts that can cause it.

I've been told Bob Dylan is coming to town here, and I'm seeing if it happens to be during the time of break--that'd be an experience. So would getting another tattoo (don't be surprised if I come home with another one!).

I've yet to make some "real" friends. I should just remember that it's only been a day, but still. Connections are hard when not only is there a small culture barrier, but also the fact that I am coming in on the second semester. And that I don't drink.

Have I mentioned that drinking is more than huge here? I have to give props to a fellow American who doesn't drink, yet still goes out with all of the peeps. She's definitely got something that I don't. I find it hard to be around people who do more than socially drink.

As it is, I'm off to the "common room" to see whom else I can meet. I do believe I accidentally blew off a meeting when I was out getting a city library card.

Oops.

Random Fact: Not missing much yet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHAT!!!!!!!!!! ANOTHER TATTOO??!!??!! Oh well at least you don't drink. Miss you tons.
Love
Mom
PS Keep up the writing. I so enjoy it.