Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I am currently teaching my father how to crochet.

It's an interesting feeling, when one goes from being taught to doing the teaching.

I find myself trying to find other ways to explain how to make crocheting understandable. I can't exactly remember how I learned, as it was over seven years ago, and I can't remember the quick tips people gave me, either. A lot of what I did was trial and error, and just figuring out things myself.

what I easily understand is difficult to put into words. It's like trying to explain to someone how you breathe, and that it's the lungs that take in the breath so the rest of your body can have the oxygen to operate correctly.

I even tried to draw a visual, until I realized it would be easier to just show it physically.

I don't want to get lazy, but I'm contemplating finding a few good videos online to show him. I'm not frustrated with him, I'm frustrated with my inability to get across things in an understanding manner.

Perhaps this is why I do and do not teach. And why I'm not becoming a teacher.

Either way, it's still fun to teach. I like passing the torch, as small as it is. I especially like sharing the art because you can get different perspectives.

We'll see where this leads.

Random Fact: You burn more calories sleeping than while watching television. A good reason to crochet/knit while watching the boob tube!

No comments: