Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Writing

Last night, I ended up talking with Miss Tanya, a good friendship that started all randomly when I needed to find a place to stay and her cousin offered her place, where they were roomies.

I think what I like best about Tanya, besides her sense of humor and her wonderfulness, is that we can talk forever. And we listen to each other. She talks like me, where we get off topic and we end up having conversations within conversations, and then we remember the original topic and get back on track, talking some more. I don't feel stupid around her in that sense. I've never really felt socially inept, but I usually feel that my mouth could be better if it were sewn shut, rather than allowed to open whenever I forget (it's not always when I please). I should talk to Thumper's parents to get better advice on the subject.

So, after randomly calling her and asking about whether I should order Domino's online (I was starving, having not eaten since morning, and it was 8pm), we ended up getting together with the pizza. It was easy to get on the subject of writing because we're currently having a writer's conference at our school. We talked about teachers, how we don't feel that we write how we used to and what the best ways to get back on track of writing were.

My latest writing teacher said that the best way to write when you have a busy schedule is to write when you least expect yourself to. When you think you shouldn't write, write anyway. Tanya and I both realized we felt the same way, where, once we start writing, it's hard to stop, thus we hesitate to start. Back in my days of two-in-the-morning-writing-until-parents-kicked-me-off, I didn't have to worry so much. I didn't have writing classes, school was kind of a boring thing I didn't fully feel the need to concentrate on, and gaining sleep was easy as. Now, in college, I feel that I do have to concentrate on school, losing sleep not by choice and never having much time to gain it back, and my two-in-the-morning would be pushed longer if I chose to write what I truly want to write.

I keep telling myself that the only way to really get it all out is that I just do it. Suck it up, as I usually do. Life sucks, you move on, and you enjoy what you can. And what I could enjoy is finally writing something like I used to.

It was either before college started or the summer just after my first year, everything I'd originally written on a computer got crapped out. For some unknown reason, beside the idea of age, the computer wouldn't turn on, and all of my young creative ideas haven't been touched since then. I've thought about maybe this being a reason why I don't write like I should anymore. Given, if I ever re-read what I wrote, I'm sure it'd be obvious I was some 13-year-old trying to write a story much like another story I liked, but I know I had some good original ideas I could pull out somewhere--or so I feel.

It's so easy to lose originality, anyway. Whether it be that I thought up a line and didn't write it down (multiple schemes have been lost to the wind because I thought the idea could wait until morning or that I was in a rush) or the fact that we're all just pulling off of Shakespeare's strings. I think of something and realize it's already been done. The hot air that rose the balloon is let out. There are many ways to tell a story; I just want to make sure I do it well.

So, in the mix of things, I already know the best way to get started. You read. I think that's one of the reasons why I started writing so much during that age, anyway. My parents can vouch for how often I read, even to the point of my teachers saying that I wasn't paying attention in class, but reading a book (to be honest, it was always much more interesting anyway... I don't seem myself putting my knowledge of what president got stuck in his bathtub to use, recently. Taft, by the way.)

Even playing certain video games make me want to write.

Music has been on the list since I was born (particularly, Pirates of the Caribbean makes me want to write, for some reason).

So, here's the real debate. Do I end up writing all over again, or does the cycle start again? I always promise myself something, and it never really turns out to be, especially with a schedule like mine. A day turns to a week, month... before I know it, the promise a few years back and I've got some other ones added to the list. I don't like picking and choosing what I'll get into and leave behind. I like it all and want it all (something my mother taught me ^_~).

The night ended with Tanya and I whining about jobs and how money sucks. Though her boss promised her hours, he ended up taking six hours a week from her because he hired someone new. We bitched about how anyone (mostly college students) were supposed to get money at a job where the pay is low and they keep taking hours away from us and ultimately won't be able to afford getting to the job in the first price thanks to the gas prices.

My view? The prices to everything is rising, thus they have to move minimum wage up, right? In all reality, we keep talking about ratios of the past. We're technically paying the same prices to things, they just want more green going around in the exchanges. Now, it's changed, because they rose the prices to where we're so poor, we're scraping every pot. Even if we do get a raise of money, we were already on the scale of just making ends meet. There's no way to come back.

It's official. There's the rich. There's the poor. And instead of trying to make the change ourselves, we're so worried about putting it into someone else's hands so we can go about our own lives, worrying about what color shirt will best bring out my eyes for a date. Even I, myself, get caught up in the game at times. But isn't it easier to just... I donno, think before we do things?

Since bike riding to work, it really takes about the same amount of time (with a car, there are multiple stop lights) and saves gas money... and overall helps the earth.

Buying locally not only helps the town, but is usually organic. So, I get myself healthy, no chemicals hitting earth and, since I rode my bike to get my meals, double whammy.

It all seems so small. But doesn't everything start out that way?

It all really even starts out with respect, even if it is an "inanimate" object. Place the pen in its place, rather than shoving it in. I find that when I feel in tune with what's around me, I'm kinder all around anyway.

But, that's the beauty of America and people in general, I guess. "Individuality." Having a mind of your own, even if it means not agreeing with someone. Oh, and having that Hummer. Tres importante.

I just fully believe that there's a way to have what you want and still make a difference for the better. Is it really a sacrifice to ride a bike if able? Live with only one high-def television (come on, does your 1st grader really need a small one for their room?)? Use public transportation or car pool? Eat well and think of others for once?

To me, it seems simple and easy. I can give up a little here and there. And if everyone did, it'd make all the difference. I mean, when did sacrificing become such a huge commodity? In the end, it really helps you.

My goal for the end of the summer: get at least one other person to suck it up and use their car only when really needful (hopefully, Russell.)

Random Fact: The USA uses 29% of the world's petrol and 33% of the world's electricity. The World's.

No comments: